I’ve taken a note from CorpNet CEO Nellie Akalp, who always writes great words of wisdom for business owners on her birthday. To celebrate my 37th birthday (today!) I wanted to talk about what it really means to be a business owner. Which can you relate to?
1. It’s hard. Nothing (besides parenting, maybe) will challenge you as much as running a business.
2. You will cry. There will come times when you’ll feel like you can’t bear a single more problem. But trust me. You can.
3. It’s the most rewarding thing. The payoff of all that stress and challenge is that, for entrepreneurs, running a business is the best thing we could imagine doing.
4. It will change your life. I can’t ever see going back to Corporate America, and I hope I never have to. I’m an entrepreneur down to my soul.
5. It will affect your family. Sometimes for the better (flexibility to take long vacations) and sometimes for the worse (long hours or days not seeing you when you’re under deadline).
6. You DO have a boss. In fact, you have many. All your customers are your boss. If they’re not happy, you’re out of work.
7. Working in your PJs is overrated. There’s something to be said about dressing up, even if you work from home. Continue reading “Susan’s Birthday Beliefs: 37 Hard Truths About Being a Business Owner” »